Danish Christmas Rice Pudding. The most popular Danish Christmas dessert, Risalamande is a wonderfully creamy almond rice pudding that is served topped with a delicious cherry sauce! Risengrød, or rice pudding, has been a beloved dish in Denmark for centuries, a dish enjoyed by rich and poor alike. The origins stems from the traditional Christmas rice.
You can add more sugar or more almonds if you wish. Traditional and old-fashioned recipe for Danish Rice Pudding also known as Risengrød. Perfect recipe if you are looking for some very traditional Danish christmas food. You can cook Danish Christmas Rice Pudding using 7 ingredients and 8 steps. Here is how you achieve it.
Ingredients of Danish Christmas Rice Pudding
- It’s 300 ml of water.
- Prepare 180 g of rice.
- Prepare 1 liter of milk.
- You need 1/2 tsp of salt.
- You need 4 tbsp of sugar.
- You need 2 tsp of cinnamon.
- You need 50 g of butter.
As I was browsing the Internet this morning, I realised that many people have already put their Christmas tree up. Remember Czech Christmas Cinnamon-Walnut Pastry recipe that I've shared with you a few weeks ago? Danish Rice Pudding is a relatively new family favorite. Rice pudding is a dish made from rice mixed with water or milk and other ingredients such as cinnamon and raisins.
Danish Christmas Rice Pudding step by step
- Put rice and water in a pot and bring it to a boil.
- Boil for about 2 mins, then add the salt.
- Now add all the milk and bring to a boil again.
- As soon as the milk starts boiling, quickly remove the pot and wrap it completely in a towel.
- Put the wrapped bundle of ricey goodness under your bed covers and leave it there for about 2.5 hours.
- While you wait, you can prepare the topping by mixing the cinnamon and sugar (not that it takes 2.5 hours to do that…).
- If the pudding is still a little thin/watery after the wait, you can give it a quick boil to get rid of the remaining liquid.
- Serve in a small bowl, spread the cinnamon sugar, and put a small chunk of butter in the middle. Merry Christmas!.
Variants are used for either desserts or dinners. It is a rice pudding like no other. On Christmas it is a tradition to add a whole almond to the bowl. The one who gets it, wins a prize. This is a Christmas favorite that allow us to enjoy the wonderful rich flavors and festive colors of this dessert.