Bread pudding. This bread pudding is very versatile and lovely in texture. Christmas time can inspire a bread pudding by simply substituting a good-quality eggnog for the milk (or part of it). Also add a pinch of nutmeg and mace to produce a sumptuous holiday dessert.
My husband loves bread pudding and is never satisfied with what I make. I made your bread pudding and he was raving. He almost ate half of the pan. You can have Bread pudding using 12 ingredients and 10 steps. Here is how you cook that.
Ingredients of Bread pudding
- It’s 10 cup of bread (I used peperidge farm gingerbread).
- You need 3 of eggs.
- Prepare 3 of egg yolks.
- Prepare 1/2 cup of sugar.
- You need 1/2 cup of brown sugar.
- Prepare 2 tbsp of dark rum.
- It’s 5 cup of half and half, separated.
- It’s 1 tsp of cinnamon.
- You need 1/2 tsp of ground nutmeg.
- It’s pinch of ground cloves.
- It’s 1/2 cup of craisins.
- Prepare 1/2 cup of golden raisins.
My grandson was here at the time and he kept wanting more. Bread pudding is indeed an old-fashioned dessert, a comforting way to use up stale bread. Any type of bread makes a neutral base for a flavorful custard; use day-old sliced whole-wheat, raisin or sourdough. Chewy dried fruit adds a contrasting texture to the tender softness of the pudding.
Bread pudding instructions
- Measure 3 cups half and half into microwaveable container..
- Add nutmeg, cloves and cinnamon..
- Microwave at 1 min intervals, stirring each time, until heated to 180° F. Let steep in microwave for 30 minutes..
- Butter or cooking spray casserole dish or cake pan. Tear or cut bread into 1 inch pieces and add to pan. Toss with dried fruit..
- Add whole eggs to blender or mixer. Blend at low speed until lightened in color. Add egg yolks and continue to blend..
- Slowly add white sugar, then brown sugar, while continuing to blend..
- Add remaining two cups half and half, still blending. Add steeped half and half with spices..
- Add the rum last, blend until mixed thoroughly..
- Pour over bread in pan. Let sit for one hour, to soak into the bread..
- After one hour, stir, and then bake at 325 for around 45 mins, depending on size of pan. Internal temperature of 170°.
Equal parts creamy and textured, it makes for a great comfort food. Here are some of the best bread pudding recipes from the FN chefs straight to. I have included the brown sugar sauce and lemon sauce recipes to serve with this pudding. Add the sugar and mix until dissolved. Pour the liquid over the bread.