Caramel Pumpkin Flan. Flan (also called crème caramel or caramel custard) is a custard dessert with a layer of caramel sauce. Flan has been a staple of Mexican and Latin American cuisine since Spaniards brought it to. Gently pour the pumpkin mixture into the pan with the caramel so they don't combine.
Crème caramel with pumpkin overtones is an outstanding dessert for serving after a heavy meal. This flan is incredibly creamy and just sweet enough. The spicing is light enough that the pumpkin really shines through. You can cook Caramel Pumpkin Flan using 19 ingredients and 16 steps. Here is how you cook it.
Ingredients of Caramel Pumpkin Flan
- You need of Pumkin Flan.
- You need 4 each of eggs (extra large).
- Prepare 4 each of egg yolks (from extra large eggs).
- It’s 1 cup of sugar (brown, packed).
- You need 1/2 tsp of vanilla extract.
- It’s 1 cup of milk (whole).
- It’s 1 cup of cream.
- You need 1 cup of pumkin puree (flesh from 1/2 small pumpkin).
- You need 1/2 tsp of cinnamon.
- You need 1/8 tsp of nutmeg.
- You need 1/8 tsp of allspice.
- It’s 1/8 tsp of ground clove.
- Prepare 1/8 tsp of orange zest.
- Prepare 1 pinch of salt.
- Prepare of Caramel.
- It’s 1/2 cup of water.
- Prepare 1 cup of sugar.
- Prepare 3 each of drops of lemon juice (light squeeze from half a lemon).
- Prepare 3 tbsp of pepitas (roasted salted hulled pumpkin seeds).
Pumpkin Flan, also known as Chocoflan, magic cake, or pudim cake. Chocolate cake on the bottom, pumpkin flan on top, with caramel sauce. Mix together pumpkin with remaining sugar, spices, and flavorings. Add eggs to cream, stir into pumpkin mixture.
Caramel Pumpkin Flan step by step
- Combine cinnamon, nutmeg, allspice and orange zest with pumpkin puree..
- In a sauce pan, start to heat the milk and cream, but do not bring to a boil..
- Whisk together the eggs and egg yolks in a large bowl. Once the milk is warm, remove from heat slowly add to egg mixture, whisking continuously..
- Once incorporated, add the brown sugar, pinch of salt and vanilla and whisk until dissolved..
- Pour through a mesh strainer into another container that can hold the pumpkin puree as well and be refrigerated..
- Whisk to combine the spiced pumpkin puree with the egg mixture and chill at least 3 hours..
- Add 1 cup sugar and then 1/4 cup water to a sauce pan. Heat until the sugar dissolves then add lemon juice..
- Continue to heat, swirling the pan to cook evenly without stirring..
- Once mixture is a deep amber color, remove from heat and slowly add the remaining 1/4 cup water. The caramel mixture will bubble up. Using a heatproof spoon, stir to combine..
- Pour the caramel into the ramekins, allow to cool and chill until caramel has set..
- Divide the chilled custard into the ramekins and place in large roasting pan with at least 2" sides..
- Pour enough warm water into the pan to reach halfway up the ramekins and cover tightly with aluminum foil..
- Bake at 325°F for 30 to 35 minutes or until the edges are clearly set, but center slightly liquid..
- Remove from roasting pan and allow to cool on wire racks..
- Once cooled, cover and return to refrigerator to chill..
- When ready to serve, invert onto serving plate, drizzle any extra caramel over the flan and sprinkle with pepitas..
If pumpkin pie married caramel custard, their offspring would look like this pumpkin flan. Effie Sahihi shares her recipe for Caramel Pumpkin Spice Flan. Pumpkin flan is regular flan with pumpkin puree and pumpkin pie spice. Flan is Creme caramel or Custard topped with bitter burnt sugar caramel, usually. Pumpkin Caramel Flan – a silky smooth, creamy custard loaded with pumpkin, and pumpkin pie spice, with a layer of soft caramel on top.