Southern banana pudding. Airy meringue atop creamy pudding is a delicious favorite and makes the best banana pudding! "If you like banana cream pie, you'll absolutely love baked banana pudding. Not only is there no pie crust to mess with, but I think the vanilla wafer cookies pair even more perfectly with the fruit and. I LOVE and adore banana pudding, real banana pudding.
Banana pudding has a strong, genuine Southern identity that stretches back more than half a century. But how much can we trust a bunch of journalists on the Southernness of this dessert? Y'all this banana pudding is the recipe from my cookbook and its my absolute favorite. You can cook Southern banana pudding using 10 ingredients and 8 steps. Here is how you cook that.
Ingredients of Southern banana pudding
- You need 1/2 cup of sugar.
- You need 2 tbsp of flour.
- It’s 1/3 tsp of salt.
- It’s 3 cup of milk.
- You need 4 of eggs separated.
- You need 1 tbsp of vanilla extract.
- You need 1 box of vanilla wafers.
- It’s 5 of ripe bananas.
- You need 1/4 cup of sugar.
- It’s 1/4 tsp of cream of tartar.
One thing I like to do differently is to allow the custard to cool. This is an old Southern recipe, featuring a comforting custard layered with bananas and vanilla wafers, then topped with a meringue. I serve it all year-round…it's a nice ending. Keywords: Southern Banana Pudding Recipe, made from scratch, homemade, old fashioned, southern recipes, with meringue.
Southern banana pudding instructions
- Heat up milk in a medium saucepan on low heat. Wisk in flour and salt until all of the flour is blended, no clumps..
- Add sugar to the mixture stirring constantly until it starts to thicken..
- Beat egg yolks and slowly add to the mixture stirring constantly. It should be around 170 max. Use a candy thermometer to check temperature. Should probably take 5 minutes after egg yolk is added..
- Take off the heat and add vanilla.
- Beat with mixer the egg whites and 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar until small soft peaks form. Add 1/4 cup sugar slowly and beat until high stiff peaks are formed. Do not over beat..
- Layer a casserole dish pudding vanilla wafers banana slices pudding ending with pudding on top. If you have left over wafers you can line the edges or crumble on top or both. The last layer will be the meringue..
- Put into oven at 450 fahrenheit for 5 minutes or until browned. Take out and either serve immediately or preferably let it cool in the fridge for a few hours or overnight. It gets better once it's cooled down..
Your Comments: We welcome your comments and look forward to. Banana pudding doesn't ask for much. The beloved Southern dessert, like so many other But this homemade banana pudding recipe says "I know you have that vanilla pudding packet in the pantry. Banana pudding is a dessert generally consisting of layers of sweet vanilla flavored custard, cookies (usually Vanilla Wafers or ladyfingers) and sliced fresh bananas placed in a dish and served. Banana pudding is a mainstay here in the south.