Javvarisi Paayasam/ Sabudana Kheer (Sago Dessert). Serve javvarisi payasam hot or warm or chilled as a dessert after meals. Sago / Javvarisi Payasam is one of the easiest payasam recipes next to semiya payasam. If you are keen to know how to feed sago to your baby then check this Sabudana kheer.
You will get this served at almost all homes in Chennai as dessert. Some people of Tamil Nadu even add some vermicelli to it and make a two in one kheer of sorts. Javvarisi Payasam, How to make javvarisi Payasam. You can cook Javvarisi Paayasam/ Sabudana Kheer (Sago Dessert) using 8 ingredients and 3 steps. Here is how you cook it.
Ingredients of Javvarisi Paayasam/ Sabudana Kheer (Sago Dessert)
- Prepare 1/2 Cup of Sago Javvarisi /.
- Prepare 1/2 Cup of Jaggery Sugar (filtered syrup) /.
- Prepare 1/2 Cup of Milk.
- Prepare 3 Cups of Water.
- It’s 1 Pinch of Salt.
- It’s 2 of Cardamom.
- You need 5 of Cashewnuts.
- You need 1 Teaspoon of Ghee.
When I was young, this was the only payasam I would eat. The texture of the Javvarisi/tapioca pearls was something i loved and still do. I fell in love with Sabudana /Sago when my mom made Sabudana Kichidi for me. The Maharashtrian style Sabudana Vada then came into my world followed by the South Indian version Javvarisi Vadai.
Javvarisi Paayasam/ Sabudana Kheer (Sago Dessert) instructions
- Soak sago for 2 – 3 hours. Drain the water and bring 3 cups of water to boil in a heavy bottomed vessel. Add the soaked sago and cook for 4 – 5 minutes or until the sago is soft. Then add the milk, jaggery syrup, salt and mix well..
- Stir continuously and boil in medium flame for 4 minutes. Add powdered cardamon. Set aside and let it cool for 15 to 20 minutes..
- Fry cashews in ghee and add in payasam. You can also serve hot..
Marriage saw me trying out Sago. When i feel tired and not in a cooking mood. I used to boil sago with some milk, add sugar and have it warm. Wash sago well in water, Cover them with fresh water and soak them in water for a hour. Now it must have doubled in size.