Malva Pudding. Malva Pudding, South African Baked Dessert. This is more delicious than the sum of its parts! Malva pudding is a sweet and rich cake of Cape Dutch origin, that is as entrenched in the Afrikaans culture as koeksisters or melktert.
African, Apricot Jam, Cake Flour, Sugar, Dessert. A sweet pudding of Dutch origin, Malva Pudding is usually served hot with custard or ice-cream. Made with apricot jam, this typical South African dessert has a spongy, caramelised texture. You can cook Malva Pudding using 15 ingredients and 9 steps. Here is how you achieve that.
Ingredients of Malva Pudding
- You need 250 ml of castor sugar.
- You need 2 of large eggs.
- It’s 15 ml of smooth apricot jam.
- It’s 310 ml of all-purpose flour.
- It’s 5 ml of bicarbonate of soda.
- Prepare 1 ml of salt.
- It’s 30 ml of butter.
- It’s 1,5 tbsp of white vinegar.
- It’s 125 ml of milk.
- Prepare of ●● Sauce ●●.
- You need 500 ml of fresh cream.
- You need 125 ml of butter.
- Prepare 125 ml of brown sugar.
- Prepare 100 ml of water.
- Prepare 30 ml of brandy (optional).
May be you need a dessert to add to your repertoire that you can serve for your African theme party. Maybe you desire a dessert that is rich and sinfully Delicious. This Malva cake can satisfy your needs and desires. Malva pudding is a sweet pudding of South African origin.
Malva Pudding instructions
- Preheat the oven to 180°C.
- Beat the castor sugar and eggs together until light and fluffy.
- Add the smooth apricot jam and vinegar then mix well..
- Sift the flour, bicarbonate of soda and salt together..
- In a saucepan, melt the butter and add the milk..
- Fold the milk mixture into the main mixture..
- Pour into a medium to large greased baking dish and bake for 40-45 minutes or until a knife inserted into the centre comes out clean..
- Place all the ingredients for the sauce into a saucepan and stir over moderate heat until the butter has melted and the sugar dissolved..
- Pierce the hot pudding several times with a skewer so that the sauce can be absorbed. Pour over the sauce and rest for 10 minutes. Serve with custard or cream..
It contains apricot jam and has a spongy caramelized texture. A cream sauce is often poured over it while it is hot, and it is usually served hot with custard and/or ice-cream. Remove from the oven and pour over the remaining sauce a little at a time until all the sauce is absorbed by the hot pudding. Serve hot with custard, cream or ice cream. Use dark brown sugar for a sweeter, more caramel-tasting malva.