Portuguese Rice Pudding. Portuguese Rice Pudding, Arroz Doce, is a traditional Portuguese dessert recipe made with cooked rice, sugar, milk, eggs, cinnamon, and lemon peel. This recipe for Portuguese Rice Pudding is a popular dish that my husband Jack has served many, many times over the years. All Reviews for Portuguese Sweet Rice.
This Portuguese rice pudding, made by cooking rice with whole milk infused with citrus and cinnamon and making it like custard with the addition of egg yolks, is creamy and comforting. The Portuguese Rice Pudding recipe out of our category Spices! Portuguese rice pudding is cooked entirely on top of the stove in a risotto like manner. You can cook Portuguese Rice Pudding using 9 ingredients and 10 steps. Here is how you achieve that.
Ingredients of Portuguese Rice Pudding
- Prepare 1 L of 3% (Homogenized) milk.
- You need 1 L of Water.
- You need 1/4 lb of Butter (unsalted preferably).
- You need 2 tsp of Salt.
- It’s of Sliced zest of small lemon (count pieces of zest to ensure that all are removed later).
- Prepare 1 1/4 cup of Arborio or Carolina Rice, soaked in water.
- It’s 1 cup of + 3 TBS white sugar.
- Prepare 6 of Egg Yolks.
- Prepare of Cinnamon (for garnish).
It traditionally is thickened and enriched further with egg yolks, but has a voluptuous texture even without them. Creamy Portuguese rice pudding isn't your average rice pudding. In a large saucepan over high heat, combine sugar and milk. When bubbles form at the edges, stir in rice and reduce heat to medium low.
Portuguese Rice Pudding instructions
- Cover with water and soak the rice in a small bowl (not the same water as below) and set aside..
- Combine milk, water, butter, salt and lemon in a large pot. Be sure to count pieces of zest to ensure that all are removed later..
- Bring contents of pot just to a boil using medium heat..
- When milk boils drain the rice from step one and add it to milk..
- LISTEN VERY CAREFULY – IMPORTANT STEP!!! Stir a couple of times to mix then leave on LOWEST heat WITHOUT STIRRING until rice grains come to the top of liquid, it will look almost solid. This takes at least 1 hour and maybe longer depending on the kind of rice used. Test to see that the rice is soft. If not, leave a bit longer..
- Remove pieces of lemon zest..
- Add Sugar and stir pot for 2 to 3 minutes to dissolve.
- Lightly beat and add 6 egg yolks.
- At this point start stirring constantly until mixture thickens and looks creamy, about 5 minutes..
- Pour into a large heatproof dish or several smaller dishes, sprinkle with cinnamon and let cool..
Arroz Doce – Sweet Rice Pudding, has always been my family's favorite served on Christmas Eve. This is one of the most famous Portuguese desserts served around the Holidays and at celebrations. Arroz Doce is a Portuguese rice pudding that is thick, creamy, sweet and served semi-set with a generous sprinkling of cinnamon. Portuguese Rice Pudding Recipe. by Global Cookbook. Experiments in Portuguese cooking, with recipes from books and from Portuguese people, to create delicious food.