Rice Kheer. Find Deals on Kheer in Boxed Meals on Amazon. Rice kheer is a popular Indian sweet dessert made with basmati rice, milk, nuts and saffron. Rice kheer is easy to make and is made with a one pan or one pot method.
To make the rice kheer, wash and soak the rice in enough water for half an hour, drain and keep aside. Discard the water and heat the milk in the same pan and bring it to a vigorous boil. Kheer is Indian rice pudding made with only three basic ingredients- rice, milk and sugar. You can cook Rice Kheer using 8 ingredients and 4 steps. Here is how you cook that.
Ingredients of Rice Kheer
- You need 6 cups of milk.
- Prepare 1/4 cup of water helps to avoid burning.
- It’s 1/4 cup of rice.
- You need 6-8 tablespoons of sugar.
- Prepare 1/2 teaspoon of cardamom powder or elaichi (about 2 to 3 pods).
- You need 10-15 of cashews.
- You need 20-25 of almonds chopped.
- It’s 2 tablespoon of sweet raisins (optional).
And I think that's the reason it is so commonly made in India because the basic ingredients are so readily available everywhere. The right Rice for Kheer Traditionally, kheer is made with basmati rice. Aged basmati is fragrant and its long grain adds texture to this kheer. However, you can use short grained rice too if that's what you have.
Rice Kheer step by step
- Pour ¼ cup water to a large heavy bottom pot. This prevents kheer from getting scorched at the bottom. Boil the milk..
- Soak rice in water for about twenty minutes. Add drained rice and begin to cook on a medium flame until the rice is soft, completely cooked and lightly mushy..
- Keep stirring often to prevent the milk getting scorched at the bottom. Stir in the sugar and continue to cook until the rice kheer turns thick..
- Add cardamom powder, rose water and nuts. Stir and continue to cook for 5 minutes. Turn off when the rice kheer reaches a desired consistency. Kheer thickens once it cools down. Garnish rice kheer with more nuts and serve..
Drain the rice and place it in a large, heavy saucepan with the milk over low heat. It is flavored with cardamom, saffron and garnished with nuts. In Hindi, it is called chawal ki kheer. Every region has its own version of making it. Chawal ki kheer or rice kheer is a traditional rice pudding made for most occasions in Indian homes.