Sago Pudding with Gula Melaka. Gula Melaka is the sugar from a coconut tree. Combined with coconut milk and poured over a sago pearl pudding, make this dessert a true delight. Sago Gula Melaka is one of my top favourite Malaysian desserts.
I love the texture of the chewy pearl sago that is drenched in combination of sweet gula melaka (palm sugar) and fragrant santan (coconut milk). Curiously, unlike the omnipresent cendol or ice-kacang, this dessert is not widely available in Malaysian eateries. Especially the fact that this dessert is very easy to make. You can have Sago Pudding with Gula Melaka using 6 ingredients and 7 steps. Here is how you cook that.
Ingredients of Sago Pudding with Gula Melaka
- Prepare 300 grams of baby sago.
- You need 200 grams of gula melaka/ palm sugar (chopped).
- You need 250 grams of coconut milk ( can use packet ones like Ayam brand).
- Prepare 700 ml of water.
- You need 1 pinch of salt.
- You need 2 medium of pandan leave.
Sago pudding (sago gula melaka) Previous Next Show Grid. When it is cooked, sago looks like little pale pearls.. It's so easy to make and tastes so wonderful! Sago Gula Melaka: Jump to the recipe.
Sago Pudding with Gula Melaka instructions
- In a pot, add sago and water. cook sago on low fire.
- Stir frequently so that the sago do not clump. cook till sago becomes translucent..
- pour sago into a strainer and rinse with cold running water to wash off excess starch.
- pour into small dessert bowls or muffin moulds and chill in the fridge until set. (about an hour).
- In a saucepan, pour coconut milk, pandan leaves and salt. bowl in a low fire until it bubbles. Stir constantly. Set aside to cool..
- In another pot, melt palm sugar and 3 tablespoon of water in low fire. It should take about 5min.
- Serve pudding with palm sugar syrup and coconut milk.
Oh and on that note, please use a non-stick pan to cook your sago! Bring a large pan of water to the boil and add sago when water is boiling. Sago is commonly used in making dessert. One of the most popular Malaysian desserts that uses sago is sago pudding with palm sugar (Malay: sago gula melaka). Gula melaka or palm sugar is another common ingredient used in making Malaysian dessert.