Homemade Vanilla Pudding. In medium saucepan over medium heat, heat milk until bubbles form at edges. In a bowl, combine sugar, cornstarch and salt. Pour into hot milk, a little at a time, stirring to dissolve.
Skip the boxed pudding, nothing beats homemade! Have you ever made vanilla pudding at home? And I don't mean the stuff that comes out of the box, I mean completely from scratch! You can have Homemade Vanilla Pudding using 8 ingredients and 5 steps. Here is how you achieve it.
Ingredients of Homemade Vanilla Pudding
- You need 2 cups of whole milk.
- Prepare 1/2 cup of heavy cream.
- You need 3 of large egg yolks, beaten.
- It’s 1/3 cup of granulated sugar.
- You need 3 tbsp. of cornstarch.
- You need 1/8 tsp. of salt.
- You need 1 tbsp. of unsalted butter.
- Prepare 2 tsp. of pure vanilla extract.
Do not allow it to boil. Milk: Whole milk is the base of the pudding. Sugar: Regular granulated sugar sweetens the pudding. Thickener: Egg yolks and cornstarch thicken up the pudding.
Homemade Vanilla Pudding step by step
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the beaten egg yolks, sugar, cornstarch and salt….it will be pretty lumpy, but that's fine. Set it aside. Place the milk and cream into a large pot over medium heat. Let it heat to a simmer, stirring often, but do not let it come to a boil. Once it begins to simmer, remove it from the heat..
- Slowly add in 1 cup of the heated milk into the egg yolk mixture while whisking constantly to temper the eggs. Once it's all whisked together, whisk the egg mixture back into the pot of heated milk and return it to the burner. Now, cook this mixture over medium heat for 8-10 minutes, stirring nearly constantly, until it is nice and thick..
- Once thickened, remove the pot from the heat and immediately stir in the butter. Once it's melted in, stir in the vanilla extract. Now run the pudding through a fine mesh sieve with a rubber spatula to remove any lumps and to get the smoothest pudding..
- At this point, either keep it in the bowl you strained it into or separate it into individual serving cups. Either way, you're going to cover the pudding with plastic wrap. You want to press the plastic wrap lightly onto the surface of the pudding, to prevent a skin from forming..
- Let it chill in the fridge for at least 2 hours before serving. Then eat it plain or top with some yummy toppings (pictured here with chocolate curls and banana slices). It'll last up to 3 days in the fridge..
Stir-ins (optional), see below for suggestions How to Make Homemade Vanilla Pudding. Most homemade pudding recipes are comprised of a few basic ingredients, with variations here and there: Dairy: depending on how rich you want your pudding, this can be all whole milk, or a blend of milk and heavy cream. In a saucepan, combine the sugar, corn starch and salt. Add milk and cook over medium heat, stirring constantly until mixture thickens. Homemade Vanilla Pudding is an easy dessert recipe made from scratch.