Cabbage Pudding. Cabbage Pudding This is a dish my grandmother, Mimi, always cooked for special occasions. Break slices of bread over the cabbage. Add cracker crumbs, then add two cups of cabbage.
Season with soy, salt and pepper. Serve with lingonberry jam and perhaps a few tomatoes. Or steamed broccoli stems and a pickled gherkin. You can have Cabbage Pudding using 4 ingredients and 5 steps. Here is how you cook that.
Ingredients of Cabbage Pudding
- You need 1 packages of cole slaw mix.
- You need 1 of sleeve saltine crackers.
- Prepare 1 quart of heavy cream.
- Prepare 1 1/2 cup of grated cheddar or colby cheese (optional).
REMOVE and discard the outer blemished leaves of the cabbage, then cut the head into quarters and cut out the hard core. POUR the water into a pot and add the bacon and crushed red pepper flakes. Bring to a boil then add the cabbage quarters. Drain the cabbage, run under cold water and drain again.
Cabbage Pudding instructions
- Crumble saltine crackers..
- Mix crumbled saltines, cole slaw mix (12-16 ounces), and cheese if using. Fresh cabbage can be used instead, if desired..
- Add salt and fresh ground pepper to taste. I suggest approximately 1/2 teaspoon salt and 3/4 teaspoon pepper. Use less if adding the cheese or it will be too salty..
- Pour the quart of cream over all in the large bowl, mixing uniformly..
- Put in greased 2-quart casserole dish. Bake at 350°F for 45 minutes or until golden brown and bubbly. This will puff up some as it bakes and go down when taken out of the oven..
While the meat and cabbage cooks, make the sauce. Make sure the mixture is not dense/dry, if that is the case use some of the liquid from cooking the cabbage. Grease an oven form and start with a layer of filling, follow with a layer of cabbage, etc. The top layer should be cabbage. Cabbage is one of my favorite vegetables to cook with.