Portuguese Rice Pudding.
You can have Portuguese Rice Pudding using 9 ingredients and 10 steps. Here is how you achieve that.
Ingredients of Portuguese Rice Pudding
- You need 1 L of 3% (Homogenized) milk.
- Prepare 1 L of Water.
- You need 1/4 lb of Butter (unsalted preferably).
- Prepare 2 tsp of Salt.
- Prepare of Sliced zest of small lemon (count pieces of zest to ensure that all are removed later).
- Prepare 1 1/4 cup of Arborio or Carolina Rice, soaked in water.
- It’s 1 cup of + 3 TBS white sugar.
- It’s 6 of Egg Yolks.
- It’s of Cinnamon (for garnish).
Portuguese Rice Pudding instructions
- Cover with water and soak the rice in a small bowl (not the same water as below) and set aside..
- Combine milk, water, butter, salt and lemon in a large pot. Be sure to count pieces of zest to ensure that all are removed later..
- Bring contents of pot just to a boil using medium heat..
- When milk boils drain the rice from step one and add it to milk..
- LISTEN VERY CAREFULY – IMPORTANT STEP!!! Stir a couple of times to mix then leave on LOWEST heat WITHOUT STIRRING until rice grains come to the top of liquid, it will look almost solid. This takes at least 1 hour and maybe longer depending on the kind of rice used. Test to see that the rice is soft. If not, leave a bit longer..
- Remove pieces of lemon zest..
- Add Sugar and stir pot for 2 to 3 minutes to dissolve.
- Lightly beat and add 6 egg yolks.
- At this point start stirring constantly until mixture thickens and looks creamy, about 5 minutes..
- Pour into a large heatproof dish or several smaller dishes, sprinkle with cinnamon and let cool..