Healthy Wheat Grain kheer. Broken wheat payasam or broken wheat kheer has the name and fame of being the ultimate bowl of comfort food with its rich and creamy texture, laced with the aroma of cardamom and ghee plus nourishing your body with the loaded nutrients of broken wheat, a healthy and low-calorie dessert fix to make peace with your diet chart as well. Traditionally the Gavachi kheer is made using whole wheat grains. We traditionally make kheer from rice, but this whole wheat kheer is healthier than the popular version.
Wheat germ is a nutritious super food, rich in vitamins, minerals, protein enzymes, and much more that the body needs to grow and stay healthy. Wheat germ has more nutrients per gram than any other vegetable or grain. Wheat kheer is a traditional dessert usually made for festive fares in Maharashtra called Gavachi Kheer Recipe. You can have Healthy Wheat Grain kheer using 8 ingredients and 10 steps. Here is how you achieve that.
Ingredients of Healthy Wheat Grain kheer
- Prepare 1/4 cup of raw wheat grains.
- You need 1 teaspoon of ghee.
- You need 500 ml of milk.
- It’s 4 tablespoons of sugar.
- It’s 1 teaspoon of chopped pistachios.
- It’s few of kishmish.
- It’s strands of Few Saffron.
- It’s of Edible Rose petals for garnishing.
Traditionally the Gavachi kheer is made using whole wheat grains which needs advance preparations like soaking and pounding them. This recipe uses whole cracked wheat (wheat daliya) which does not require these preparations and also cooks faster than the whole wheat berries. It is a sweet recipe prepared using whole wheat grains and nuts making it healthy and delicious. It's probably one of the most versatile desserts there is.
Healthy Wheat Grain kheer instructions
- Soak well washed wheat for at least 8 hours in enough water..
- Then after it is soaked properly coarsely grind it in a mixer jar..
- Heat ghee in a pan and add the wheat mixture, roast it on low heat, stirring continuously, until it becomes light brown. It will take 10 minutes to roast. When done take it out in a bowl..
- Now in the same pan add boiled milk and let it simmer on low heat. When the milk becomes little thick then add roasted wheat mixture, kishmish and saffron strands. mix well..
- Cook on low heat, stirring occasionally, until becomes thick and the wheat mixture cooks properly..
- Then add sugar and cook further for 5-7 minutes..
- Let it cool in room temperature and chill it for 3 hours..
- While serving, garnish with chopped pistachios and petals..
- It is ready to relish..
- You can have this kheer warm as well as cold. You can store the rest of the roasted wheat mixture in the refrigerator, use it whenever required..
In the south, it's also called payasam and is made with coconut milk and jaggery which also makes kheer vegan. How to Make Wheat Coconut Payasam Recipe with Step by Step Photos. A healthy South Indian Payasam Recipe with wheat rava / gothumai rava / godhuma rava, jaggery and fresh coconut. A perfect and easy naivedyam recipe for festivals like Navratri, Onam, Makar Sankranti, Ganesh Chaturti and Varalakshmi Vratham Pooja. The fiber content means that just like with whole grain foods, consuming whole wheat foods regularly as part of a healthy diet can reduce the risk of chronic diseases, including diabetes.