Homemade Banana Pudding. How to make real Old Fashioned Homemade Banana Pudding! If you think you've had banana pudding before and it involved a boxed pudding mix…THAT was not banana pudding! This banana pudding recipe is about as much of a comfort food in the South as it is a dessert.
Banana pudding is one of our all-time favorite desserts. The homemade banana pudding is sweet, luscious, and smooth with big nostalgic appeal. The texture from the wafers and the bananas, both suspended in thick and creamy, is pure good. You can have Homemade Banana Pudding using 11 ingredients and 11 steps. Here is how you achieve that.
Ingredients of Homemade Banana Pudding
- You need 2 cup of milk.
- Prepare 2 tbsp of flour.
- Prepare 2 tbsp of cornstarch.
- Prepare 1 pinch of salt.
- It’s 6 large of ripe bananas.
- You need 1 box of vanilla wafers.
- It’s 3 of eggs (separated).
- It’s 1 of vanilla wafer crust (optional).
- You need 1 cup of sugar.
- You need 1 tsp of vanilla extract.
- Prepare 1 stick of butter.
Creamy sweet banana pudding is the best dessert to bring for a party! It steals the show with its light banana flavor, thick. Banana pudding is a mainstay here in the south. It shows up at just about every single event there is.
Homemade Banana Pudding step by step
- combine flour, salt, sugar, cornstarch and milk together in a nonstick pot or double boiler.
- stir constantly to avoid scorching.
- once the pudding thickens add egg yolks from separated eggs.
- stir until the pudding gets a little thicker then remove from heat.
- stir in vanilla extract and butter and let cool.
- cut a few bananas and layer it in the vanilla wafer crust.
- pour half of the pudding on top of bananas.
- layer vanilla wafers and bananas on top of pudding.
- pour the remaining pudding on that layer.
- top with more vanilla wafers (crushed or whole).
- refridge the banana pudding for about 4 hours then serve.
Homemade custard is not absolutely necessary but it really is a huge difference from the shortcut. I'm a snacking kind of person. I need my mid-morning snack, mid-afternoon snack, and my before-bed snack. This Homemade Banana Pudding recipe makes the creamiest and most flavorful banana pudding ever! Layered with bananas and sweet vanilla wafer cookies, this Southern dessert recipe is hands.