Treacle sponge pudding. A simple steamed syrup sponge, treacle pudding is guaranteed to please. To check if the pudding is cooked, insert a metal skewer into the pudding. If it comes out clean it is ready.
Treacle pudding is like angel food—if you've never tried it, then you are in for a delicious Wonderful for family celebrations, steamed sponges are simple to make and, because they are made on the. When the pudding is cooked, carefully remove it from the pan, leave it to cool for a few minutes then remove the foil lid and turn out onto a plate. Be the first to review this recipe. You can have Treacle sponge pudding using 9 ingredients and 2 steps. Here is how you cook it.
Ingredients of Treacle sponge pudding
- You need 100 g (3 1/2 oz) of plain flour.
- You need 75 g (2 1/2 oz) of caster sugar.
- It’s 75 g (2 1/2 oz) of butter, cut into pieces.
- Prepare 2 tbsp of Golden Syrup or treacle.
- You need 2 of eggs.
- You need 1 tbsp of breadcrumbs.
- It’s 1 tsp of baking soda.
- It’s of Juice and grated rind of half a lemon.
- You need 1-5 tbsp of milk.
Add the grated lemon rind and slowly whisk in the eggs, a little at a time. Make this absolute hug-in-a-bowl British pudding, with lots of fresh lemon zest to cut through the sweet, gooey. A treacle sponge pudding is a traditional British dessert dish consisting of a steamed sponge cake with treacle cooked on top of it, sometimes also poured over it and often served with hot custard. Have made this a few times over the last couple of weeks and it has worked well each time (after a few minor adjustments to the cooking time!).
Treacle sponge pudding instructions
- Put the Golden Syrup in a bowl together with the lemon juice and the breadcrumbs. Mix together. Put the butter and sugar in a bowl and cream together. Add the eggs one at a time, beating the mixture between each egg added. Sieve in the flour and the baking soda and mix well. Adjust the thickness of the mixture by blending in the milk 1 tbsp at a time. The mixture should fall off a spoon. Add in the lemon rind. Grease a 1 pint bowl with butter and pour in the treacle mixture.
- Place a disc of baking paper on the top if the mixture. Cover the bowl with a piece of aluminium foil with a pleat folded into it. Secure with 2-3 rubber bands and trim away the excess foil. Place the bowl in a large pan of simmering water – the water should come about ⅔ of the way up the bowl. Cover the pan and cook for 2 hours. Remove the bowl from the pan and take off the foil and baking paper. Run a palette knife around the inside of the bowl and turn the pudding out on to a plate..
This is a really easy recipe for a traditional syrup sponge pudding. It is so good, when i say it is good then it is wonderful. I am not a big cake eater, but this one is total different it is delicious very caramely and tasty. A treacle sponge pudding is a traditional British dessert dish consisting of a steamed sponge cake with treacle. Enjoy a nostalgic treat with Ed Baines' simple recipe for a good, old-fashioned, home-made treacle pudding.