Rice Kheer / Indian Rice Pudding. Kheer, a rice pudding is probably the most common dessert that's made in every Indian household. It's one dessert that I grew up eating on a regular basis. Whenever there would be a celebration or a festival or just because we felt like eating a dessert, kheer was what mom always made.
Keep Calm and try this Black Rice Kheer. Kheer is Indian version of rice pudding made by slow cooking rice in milk with addition of fragrant ingredients like saffron , cardamom, rose water and generous amount of nuts. It is sweetened with sugar or jaggery. You can cook Rice Kheer / Indian Rice Pudding using 8 ingredients and 5 steps. Here is how you cook that.
Ingredients of Rice Kheer / Indian Rice Pudding
- You need 1 litre of Full cream milk.
- You need 1/4 cup of Full Mogra Rice.
- Prepare 1/4 cup of Sugar.
- Prepare 1/4 tsp of Elaichi Powder.
- Prepare 1 tbsp of Kesar Milk Flower.
- You need 1 tbsp of Raisins.
- Prepare 1 tbsp of Charoli.
- It’s 6-8 of each Kaju Badam and Pista (finely chopped).
And the best part it doesn't contain eggs. It is simmered and reduced to form a palatable decoction you cannot resist. Indian rice pudding, also known as Kheer originated in the Indian subcontinent. It's traditionally made with milk, sugar, and Basmati rice (or rice, tapioca, vermicelli, or sweet corn), and flavored with Indian spices such as cardamom and saffron.
Rice Kheer / Indian Rice Pudding instructions
- Boil one-litre milk in a vessel. Add rice when milk comes to a boil..
- Continuously stir the milk till the rice is cooked about 80%..
- Now add sugar and Kesar milk powder and stir till the sugar dissolves..
- Now add dry fruits to kheer..
- Enjoy it as a dessert..
Rice Pudding is made in many households throughout India, especially on special occasions and festivals. Rice is cooked in milk and simmered for long time to get pudding like texture. Kheer or Indian rice pudding is delicious both hot or cold. Winter months make warm kheer a bowl of comfort and in Summers, cold kheer is a delight. I hope you try this recipe, the next time you are looking for a quick homemade dessert.