Gajar Ka Halwa | Carrot Pudding. Carrot halwa or gajar halwa recipe – A slow cooked traditional Indian halwa or pudding made by simmering carrots in milk. Carrot halwa is popularly known as gajar ka halwa, gajrela or gajar halwa. It makes its presence in most special occasions like festivals, celebrations and parties.
Prepare this for special occasions as well as the perfect dessert post regular dinner with the family. Ingredients of Gajar Ka Halwa Recipe: Grated carrots, milk, sugar and nuts are. Carrot halwa Recipe with step by step photos and video. You can have Gajar Ka Halwa | Carrot Pudding using 7 ingredients and 12 steps. Here is how you achieve that.
Ingredients of Gajar Ka Halwa | Carrot Pudding
- Prepare 1 Kg of Carrots (Grated).
- It’s 1/2 cup/ As per taste of Sugar.
- You need 1 Litre of full cream (I used 3.5% fat content).
- Prepare 2 Tbsp of Desi Ghee/ Clarified butter.
- You need 1 Tsp of Choti Elaichi/Green Cardamom (Coarsely pounded).
- Prepare 1 cup of Cashew nuts (some quartered & a few halved for garnishing).
- Prepare 1 cup of Raisins.
This recipe shares the traditional way of making delicious gajar ka halwa without any shortcuts or tweaks. By the way, at home in Punjabi language we call carrot halwa as Gajrela. During winters, we make gajar ka halwa often. it is a popular sweet made in north India during winters. Gajar ka halwa (Hindi: गाजर का हलवा), also known as gajorer halua, Gajrela, Gajar Pak, and Carrot halwa is a carrot-based sweet dessert pudding from the Indian subcontinent.
Gajar Ka Halwa | Carrot Pudding step by step
- Wash the carrots thoroughly. Cut & discard the ends..
- Peel & grate using the biggest holes of a Grater or use a Food Processor..
- Note: I used orange carrots because that’s what’s available here in the grocery stores in Canada..
- Heat ghee in a heavy bottomed skillet or pot. Tip in the grated carrots..
- Sauté over high heat for 5 minutes. Add the sugar & the Elaichi..
- Keep cooking on high heat until the carrots wilt & change colour and the sugar dissolves & the juices dry up..
- Pour the milk now. Reduce heat to medium. When the milk begins to boil, reduce the heat to low..
- Let it simmer uncovered until all the milk & moisture dries up, stirring frequently in between. *It takes about 2 hours to slow cook..
- Adjust sugar at this stage. When it is almost dry, increase the heat to medium & cook for 5-6 minutes or until the Halwaa comes together & it is completely dry..
- Remove form heat & add the cashew nuts & raisins. Stir well. Save a few to garnish..
- Serve warm..
It is made by placing grated carrots in a pot containing a specific amount of water, milk and sugar and then cooking while stirring regularly. It is often served with a garnish of almonds and pistachios. Allow the steam to escape before opening the lid. Gajar ka Halwa is a delicious and healthy winter dessert which is quiet popular in Pakistan. It is a carrot based dessert that is consumed in India & Pakistan.