Rice pudding with spices – meghli. Buy Groceries at Amazon & Save. Meghli, a cinnamon-spiced rice pudding is a traditional Lebanese dessert. This dessert is most popularly served to celebrate the birth of a new child in a family.
It is a delicious rice pudding spiced with anise, cinnamon and caraway and garnished with shredded coconut and nuts. And as this rice pudding is all about celebrating birth, during Christmas it is obviously served to celebrate the birth of Christ. And since Christmas is about a newborn, too, meghli is served as a Christmas dessert in the mountains. You can cook Rice pudding with spices – meghli using 10 ingredients and 5 steps. Here is how you cook that.
Ingredients of Rice pudding with spices – meghli
- It’s 1 1/2 cups of sugar.
- It’s 9 cups of water.
- Prepare 1 tablespoon of caraway powder.
- You need 1 teaspoon of cinnamon powder.
- Prepare 1/2 tablespoon of aniseed powder.
- It’s 1/4 teaspoon of fennel powder.
- It’s of For garnishing:.
- It’s 1 cup of coconut powder.
- You need 1 cup of raw almonds or walnuts.
- It’s 3/4 cup of raw pine nuts.
Meghli is a fragrant brown rice pudding, sweetened with sugar; seasoned with anise, caraway, and cinnamon; and topped with almonds and pistachios. Great recipe for Rice pudding with spices – meghli. A rice pudding with cinnamon, caraway, fennel and aniseed. It is garnished with coconut powder and nuts.
Rice pudding with spices – meghli instructions
- In a pot, put the rice powder with 2 cups of water. Stir them for 3 minutes..
- Add the remaining 7 cups water, the spices and the sugar to the pot and put it on high heat. Start stirring immediately as you put the pot on heat..
- Continue stirring continuously until the mixture thickens. Turn off heat..
- Pour in small serving cups and wait until the meghli cools completely before placing the cups in the refrigerator..
- To serve, garnish with a layer of coconut powder, pine nuts and almonds or walnuts..
It is traditionally served to announce the arrival of a newborn. The spices give it its brownish color. Unlike other rice puddings, meghli is a vegan treat. What appears like chocolate pudding is actually rice flour mixed with water and sugar, tinted brown by copious spices and thickened by careful. The broken rice used in this recipe gives this pudding a porridge-like texture.