Basic Sweet Bread Pudding Recipe. Want To Learn How To Make Delicious Pudding? While most recipes for bread pudding are quite similar, it's the bread to custard ratio that differs the most. It also depends on how much time you let the bread soak prior to.
Just stale bread, eggs, sugar, some kind of milk product (whether milk, half and half or cream, at least some part cream being richest),. Add eggs to cooled milk mixture and whisk; pour mixture over bread. Serve warm or at room temperature. You can have Basic Sweet Bread Pudding Recipe using 7 ingredients and 6 steps. Here is how you cook that.
Ingredients of Basic Sweet Bread Pudding Recipe
- Prepare 8 cups of stale bread that's been cut into 1-inch cubes (See notes above re: types of bread.).
- It’s 4 of large eggs plus 1 egg yolk.
- It’s 1 of +3/4 cups whole milk.
- It’s 3/4-1 cup of sugar, depending on how sweet you like your desserts.
- You need 2 teaspoons of vanilla.
- It’s 1/4 teaspoon of kosher salt (a little less if you're using regular table salt).
- Prepare 3 Tablespoons of butter, melted.
Break sweet bread into pieces (not too small). Spread apple pie filling on top of the sweet bread. Combine cooled milk mixture with beaten eggs. Rustic and homey, bread pudding simply combines day-old bread with rich ingredients like half-and-half and eggs to make a baked dish that's sweet, warm, and deeply satisfying.
Basic Sweet Bread Pudding Recipe instructions
- Preheat oven to 350F..
- Combine all ingredients but the bread in a large mixing bowl and whisk until all sugar is dissolved..
- Pour the bread into the custard mixture and fold gently to coat. Allow it to steep for about 7 minutes, and gently turn again to make sure all the bread is soaked. Allow it to steep another 10 minutes to soak up as much of the custard as possible..
- Generously butter a 9-inch pie dish or 9 x 9 casserole/baking dish and pour in the bread and custard mixture, stirring gently to distribute evenly..
- Bake for about 40 minutes or until the center is just slightly jiggly and remove from oven to cool. (I’d check at about 35 minutes.) It’s kinda like scrambled eggs in the pan – if they’re firm in the pan, they’ll be overcooked on your plate because the internal heat keeps cooking them..
- Cool for at least 20 minutes to allow it to set..
This old-fashioned comfort food dessert is easy to prep, you can make it ahead of time, and it's endlessly customizable. Bread pudding is a form of baked custard. A sweetened mixture of milk and eggs is poured over staled bread in a baking dish and the two are baked together until the bread is pudding-like — lush and creamy — and the top is golden and tender crisp. This bread pudding is very versatile and lovely in texture. Christmas time can inspire a bread pudding by simply substituting a good-quality eggnog for the milk (or part of it).